It’s a long “dah” today, but that’s because it’s proportional to length of time it took me to finish this bad boy*. To wit, 2 years, 1 month, 25 days in the making. Or to put it differently, 785 days / 67,824,000 seconds / 1,130,400 minutes / 18,840 hours / 112 weeks. (*The link takes you to the post that explains where I got the name Idenity Crisis from. You’ll see… It makes perfect sense.)
To be fair I couldn’t work on it, or should I say “under it”, during the Summer and it a very big blanket. The point is: I finished it and I’m proud of it!
Blanket statistics are as follows:
Yarn: Stylecraft Special DK. I think I used roughly 4 skeins of each colour, but it may be more.
Colours: Plum (maroon), Meadow (green), Denim (dark blue), Parchment (off-white), Cloud Blue (light blue) and Mocha (brown).
Blanket pattern: Spicey Delights by Lionbrand yarns
Border pattern: Border #112
Layout: 72 rows of stripes, one row of 21 4-round granny squares, 20 rows of stripes, one row of 21 4-round granny squares, 20 rows of stripes, one row of 21 4-round granny squares and a final 72 rows of stripes.
This is where it all started. I took this photo on 21 November 2009 – one day after starting the blanket. I can hardly believe the blanket was ever this small!
It hasn’t always been an enjoyable journey though… Here is what I wrote in the Notes of this project on my Ravelry page.
I’m making this afghan to match the Granny and Grandpa square cushions in our bedroom. I had to promise hubby that I won’t use any pink, but that’s a small price to pay to get my hooky way
I’m using Biscuit and Jam’s Random Stripe Generator. What an amazing tool!!!
31 December 09: I am really getting tired of working on this ginormous blanket. The only thing keeping me going is seeing how it changes as I add more stripes. Thank goodness for the stripe generator!
5 January 2010: I’m starting to resent this blanket cause it just doesn’t want to get bigger even though I already have 72 rows! I hook and hook and hook and it still looks like a really big scarf.
29 May 2010: I’m starting the blanket again, but I’ll be doing 4 round granny squares for the middle section.
30 August 2011: I’m baaaack….
31 December 2011: All rows are finished and the blanket is the size I wanted. Weaving in of the ends and edging left to do.
1 January 2012: All the ends are woven in.
2 January 2012: Added Around the Corner Crochet Border # 112, and I’m done, finish, kaput! 20 November 2009 – 2 January 2012 in the making.
It was all worth it in the end though. Here’s why.